CREAM CRACKERS AND BLUE CHEESE

Occasion: Sit-Down Staff Meeting
Venue: Staff Room near the Students Residence, University of Warwick

Blue Stilton Cheese, Cream Crackers and Green Grapes. You'll need the grapes to neutralise your taste buds after that Blue Cheese aftertaste, trust me. Photo is of my own personal collection and under full copyright.

It was summer. An hour early taking off from work at 1200 noon instead of 1300 on my 1000 – 1300 daily shift at the students Residence for a half hour staff meeting. A plate of crackers and cubes of funny looking blue cheese and tea is served by the Residence manager while she casually delivers the briefing to the staff.

Every staff sat by the table only had one or two sandwiched crackers with the blue cheese and a cup of tea. Nothing more. My curiosity rose above the clouds and I asked myself why are the cheese served blue in colour and looks like a chunk of caviar mixed with cheese spread like nothing I’ve ever heard or seen before. Even my working colleague, Caroline who was clearly an English local, enjoying it like she had it as her every day snacks.

I even googled to make sure there’s no non-halal substance in the servings and found it is permissible and decided to give it a go. And the taste, oh my God, it’s like chewing (okay, no offence my dear English friends, this is more like an honest review) of a juicy of dead ants in my mouth. Juicy in a good way but the ant’s aftertaste really had my brain section for food tasting felt like being struck by an electric shaver. So, I just had one and that’s it.

I quickly finishing off my cup of tea like a thirsty fox and picked up my backpack and bike helmet, heading myself home on my push bike, leaving the mystery of blue cheese and crackers as one of  my unsettled moments in life. I later found out from local supermarkets like Morrisons and my English friends that Blue Stilton Cheese or popularly known as Blue Cheese originated from France and made locally in the United Kingdom due to its unique flavour and healthy diet.

One thing for sure. I am not getting myself any blue cheese soon. I’d rather have Cornish Cream with Sultana Scones for dessert as they taste so much better than the Blue Stilton Cheese as approved by my taste bud though. But I’ll tell about that one in another story 😊


Comments

Popular Posts