GO DUTCH! A DIFFERENT KIND OF STORY


Definition of go Dutch in English:

go Dutch
PHRASE
informal 
Share the cost of something, especially a meal, equally.
Example sentence;
‘I'll pay for it, or we'll go Dutch, if that offends your sensitivities.’
-Taken from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/go_dutch-

Venue: Sherbourne Residence, University of Warwick
Occasion: Kitchen Cleaning Day
Time: A week or two before the Summer Term Break of 2014

I made a lot of student friends while cleaning the kitchen at their flats three hours a day, three days a week. The block where I used to clean has five flats and each flat has one kitchen. The kitchen is generously spacious enough to fit all these highly equipped state-of-the-art cooking wares and devices like two sets of flame-less cooker table top that allows four pots to be placed at one time with cooking hob so massive that looks like it could suck you straight into another dimension and a three-tiered oven that can fit one extra-large Christmas turkey in one go. Each kitchen also has enough built-in cabinets and drawers to keep all the cooking utensils which are shared by roughly twelve to fourteen tenants living on each flat.

These students always turned up in my final hour just to cook their lunch and this happens every time I go to the flat to clean. I normally will kill my free time after my cleaning job is done or half way done (since they are chopping up their vegetables and cooking up their meal and nothing much I can do unless if I want to have my hands burned cleaning the cooker tops) with having some casual conversation with them, well mostly about cooking.

One of the students is an undergraduate from The Hague, Netherlands, with a Dutch surname that has some unique letters with two dots on top and looks but not pronounced like how I thought it was, most probably telling me she’s a Dutch native as I couldn’t really notice any Dutch accent from her every time she speaks English. This was before I know that most Dutch today speaks fluent English due to the wide English exposition throughout the mass media in The Netherlands for quite some time. English is also taught to Dutch kids as early as 10 years old.

After a while, I told her I’d offer the whole flat to cook my own local cuisine for lunch before they’re leaving for the summer term holiday. I insisted to cook my very own Malaysian Fried Rice using the most accurate ingredients I could find from the nearest Chinese Groceries Shop in the city centre, selling all sorts of Asian herbs, spices and condiments.

Later, before we proceed with the plan, she asked who’s willing to pay for all the cooking expenses and I simply told her to ‘Go Dutch!’ since she’s a Dutch herself. To my surprise, she replied ‘What’s that supposed to mean?’. Then I told her ‘I thought Go Dutch! is a common term where we pay separately for our own meal?’ which means that I’m willing to pay for the groceries since I’m the one who comes out with the suggestion. I got a frowned face from her in return. More like a cat with a pair of frowned eyebrows with wrinkled forehead and whiskers pointing out in different directions altogether most probably suffering from a cat food poisoning. 



This was the photo taken by one of the student's mother while they're packing up for the holiday in the final two weeks before the term ends. The rest of the flat mates were just busy and only could make it in another photo but of poor quality upload. I'm the one in the middle with the name tag. Try guessing which one is the Dutch student I mentioned in this story. -Photo is of my own personal collection. All copyrights reserved.
I then realised she wasn’t kidding and was completely lost in translation with what I thought was one simple tease. I told her just to forget what has been told and hopefully could find some other time to cook for them before they left for the summer time term break. Unfortunately, it never happened since everyone was busy with their own plans for the Great British Summer holiday. Well, I just kept my fingers crossed if I happen to clean their flat in the near future.

However, I did spend the final week with helping them with their luggage mostly shopping bags from their London shopping experience even more than the books themselves. I even got tipped a tenner from one of the parents that wanted me to help with her son's luggage. Well, a good tip is hard to find nowadays. More like a good quid though.


If you see this lorry wandering around the campus that means the term break is just around the corner and it's going to be a dead campus the next week after.- Photo is of my own personal collection. All copyrights reserved.
While writing this, I took the liberty to Google up ‘Go Dutch!’ and found out from Urban Dictionary online, besides the common term for phrase ‘’Go Dutch’’ or "going Dutch" that we already know, history has it that England rivalry with The Netherlands especially during the period of the Anglo-Dutch Wars gave rise to several phrases including Dutch that promote certain negative stereotype with examples include Dutch courage, Dutch uncle and Dutch wife. The particular stereotyped associated with this usage is the idea of Dutch people as not sociable and selfish (Mimodona, 2006). 

Okay, that’s too much of negative Dutch stereotypes but I think explains well enough what was going on during our conversation in the kitchen. Looks like no more Dutch related joke with a Dutch next time around. *'Bayar asing-asing' sounds even better to me.

*'Bayar asing-asing' is a Malay Language equivalent to 'Go Dutch'.

Comments

Popular Posts