THE DAY I STOPPED BUYING BREAKFAST TO WORK

Occasion: 15 minutes to 1000 AM before my shift starts for the day, hanging out with my workmates in the staff room discussing about our breakfast that we’re having for the day.

The morning ritual. All breakfast or drinking bottles on the table. Photo is of my own. All copyrights reserved.

They were like seven of us that morning, and as usual like a daily ritual, some of the ladies would take out their home-made breakfast and put it on the table together with their specially made drinks in a politically incorrect drinking bottle as I could tell the colour of the juice doesn’t match the label on the bottle, simply said, a Ribena Blackcurrant drinking bottle with a fresh orange juice filling. That's a real spot on. 

Some of the ladies would even bring with them from home a separate zip sealed bag contains a portion of fresh milk, tea bags and sugar and stuffed them in to their coat pockets. Justine, my workmate from the same flat I worked, would bring her 100% vegetarian midday breakfast of carrot sticks, freshly cut without any dipping sauce. That is when, Elizabeth, the one that wears a £100 worth a pair of glasses spoke up and broke the silence in the room;

Lizzie: So, what did you bring for breakfast today, Azfar?
Me: Sandwiches. With eggs, mayo and cress.
Lizzie: (Looking surprised) Sandwiches? That’s nice. Did you make them?
Me: Nope, I bought it at Tesco this morning on my way here.
Lizzie: (Still, looking surprised) So, you bought it…...! (in a very cynical intonation and somehow a giggle coming from unidentified sources in the room)
Me: (Well, what’s wrong with my sandwiches? I loved them and they’re not that pricey for a £2.90 double sandwich in a nicely wrapped cardboard box with nice printed thoughts for the day on the side of the pack).

And that when I realised there was no one in the room had any factory-made breakfast especially sandwiches bought or brought with them but me.

A typical sandwich pack you can buy from Tesco's anywhere in the UK. This one I enjoyed it by the lake near my workplace after my shift ended because of you know why. Don't mind the Food for Thought printed on the pack though. I'm not a 75-year-old yet. Photo is of my own. All copyright reserved.

Feeling awkward, I decided to leave my breakfast in the staff room’s fridge and skipped my breakfast for that morning. From the next day onward, I always prepped my homemade boiled egg, seasoned with white pepper powder with mayonnaise and barbecue sauce and kept it in the fridge the night before. Saved me £2.90 every day. No more Tesco sandwich bought breakfast except for my off days when I still buy them when I'm out hungry on a nearby city day trip.  Homemade breakfast is indeed the best breakfast, and healthy too.

Comments

Popular Posts